Sunday, March 11, 2018

Eating Fish for Healthy Diets

We try to have fish for dinner at least two or three times a week.  Coming up with creative ways to cook fish takes some doing.  It seems like when you talk about chicken and creating a  healthy dinner there are so different and delicious recipes.  Eating fish is great for healthy diets.

Since my husband does all the grocery shopping he usually brings home whatever fish is on sale for the week.  Our favorites are Ahi, Salmon and swordfish.

Ahi is the easiest to cook as it can be rare in the center and is easy to determine when it is done.  I usually marinate the fish in the fallowing mixture:
1/4 cup of olive oil
juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon each of basil, tarragon and oregano
Salt and pepper to tatste

I mix the ingredients together and pour over the fish on both sides.  I allow the fish to sit for about an hour in the fridge.

I heat up a small pan and brown on each side until  the outsides are cooked.  Some of you may prefer to cook the fish until it is completely cooked. 

Salmon is also easy to cook, but the minute it goes from translucent to opaque it must be removed from the pan or broiler.  I also marinate this fish in the above marinade.  If you are an expert griller this fish tastes wonderful barbecued.  Another easy way cook salmon is to season the salmon with salt and pepper, a squirt of lemon juice and  a tablespoon of sesame seed oil and wrap completely in foil and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

I am not nearly as creative with fish as I am with beef, chicken, pork or lamb.  The most important thing about cooking fish is amount of time you cook whatever fish you choose.  Meat and chicken are far more forgiving.  I will admit that I have actually thrown out overcooked fish a few times. 

Speaking of overcooking fish I did come up with a way to use the damaged fish.  I cooked the fish and cut it in small pieces or shred it you can.  I added some mayonnaise, cider vinegar along with capers, chopped celery and sunflower seeds.  I seasoned the fish with basil, oregano, cumin and salt and pepper.  It actually made a tasty salad.

There are many health benefits to eating fish.  The first one is that most fish contain a lot of Omega 3 plus vitamins and minerals.  Fish is generally low calorie and is suitable for many weight loss diets. The best part about eating fish is that I eat much less fish than beef.  A serving of 5 ounces is plenty but I seem to really like at least 8 ounces of pork or steak. 

Maybe you have had enough of my fishy story today.  Check out my book for some really good fish recipes.

Amazon Book Feel Better Every Day

No comments:

Post a Comment