Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Healthy Aging and Percentages


Healthy Aging and Percentages

My blog today does not include specific statistics about staying healthy, but written based on what I have observed over the past years.  

There are no guarantees that if you eat healthy, exercise and stay in shape you will live longer or even enjoy better health.  I am a great observer of others and have been through the years. When we were younger in our 20s, 30s, 40s and even 50s, we all were generally fairly healthy and not hooked on prescription drugs to stay well.  We were naturally more active since many of us worked or took care of our families.  In other words we were moving a good deal of the time.   Some of us had a decent sense of what healthy eating was even though iceberg lettuce was premium. And not to forget our soil  was richer and our foods not filled with additives and preservatives.  Today grocery stores are a haven for busy people and dinners are stacked in the frozen food department ready for quick eating.

It pains me to watch the people around me  with their poor diets and lack of exercise. People with a variety of conditions are dependent on their prescriptions and rarely seek out natural means to find solutions.  They often feel that taking prescriptions continue to solve their healthy issue and regular doctor visits will keep them healthy. Please don’t get me wrong these drugs are keeping people alive and are very important.

We eat healthfully, exercise and monitor our weight and so far feel good and do not take drugs for any conditions.  We eat about 90 percent healthfully with lean protein, lots of produce and lots of healthy herbs.  It is rare we don’t feel good and seem to never have digestive issues.  Will we live longer..that is not my goal. I want to feel good while I am alive.  

I have a good friend who is diabetic and has lost a bunch of weight and his numbers are good.  However, he has felt deprived and is slowly working his way back to eating more junk food. 

I have another friend with cardio problems and diabetes and always has many foods with sugar  in his house and eats steaks regularly.  Another acquaintance who is about 60 pounds over weight and has some digestive issues, lung problems and more… and stuffs herself with carbs.  I know it is difficult to give up your favorite foods and ones you have always indulged in.  Here is a little helpVegetable Skewer, Paprika, Tomato

  1. Keep a bowl of fresh fruit cut up in fridge for snacking
  2. While at the store walk quickly by the bakery department
3.  Think chicken and fish
4.  Increase your produce intake with veggies that you like. 
5. Drink a lot of water..hydration and it staves off hunger
6.  If the bad stuff is your house you will eat it. 
7.  Have a buddy to share your new eating habits
8.  Limit your treats and think about them before indulging.
9. No exercise— start out with a short walk around the block, and never sit for more than half hour with getting up.

*These ideas are simple and remember to always take baby steps when making changes,  and do one thing at a time.

1 comment:

  1. I've been working on improving my physical lifestyle for six months now. All the vitals have improved (they were never really bad,) I lost ten pounds, my resting heartbeat is much better....the point I'm making is that I did nothing drastic, but took baby steps. I added a little bit more each day until I reached a level of change I was comfortable with, and it has worked.

    I haven't had a cheeseburger in a couple years. lol

    ReplyDelete