Thursday, September 21, 2017

My Favorite Easy Healthy Dinner Recipe



We eat a lot of chicken in our house.  There are several reasons why I like  chicken. It is healthful, inexpensive and there are so many easy cooking recipes for chicken.  When cooking chicken that takes a long time I prefer to use chicken thighs as they are always tender, flavorful and don't dry out. I cook the  thighs with the skin to keep the juices in and the seasonings intact. People have a choice to either eat the skin or not.  Actually if you use organic chickens the skin is very healthful.  I create  many favorite healthy entrees but this one is great for company.  I always make extra to insure we have another delicious meal and enjoy healthy eating. And it gives me a night off from cooking. 

Adding to our healthy eating I generally buy organic chickens but as long as the chickens are not fed antibiotics I will use regular chickens.  Generally on the package it will read that the chickens are natural and not fed with saline to pump them up.  Chickens are loaded with vitamins and minerals and are lower in fat and calories than red meat.  I have found that I can cook two dinners plus one lunch for as little as $7.00. 

Chicken Combo Healthy Entree

Ingredients:
8 chicken thighs or as many as you want to make.
2 Cups of sliced mushrooms
1 cup of chopped onions
1 cup of chopped canned artichoke hearts
1 cup of sliced black olives
Avocado or Grapeseed oil—-enough to brown the chicken and veggies 
1 cup of dry white wine
4 tablespoons each of oregano, basil, thyme, garlic powder,  paprika, lemon pepper spice
Salt to taste

Directions:
Blend all the dry spices in a bowl
Roll the chicken thighs in the mixture to cover
Heat the oil
Add the thighs and brown on each side
Remove the thighs and set aside
Add more oil to the pan
Brown all the veggies except the artichoke hearts and olives
Add the chicken back into the large pan and cook for about 45 minutes turning once
Add the wine, artichoke hearts and olives.
Simmer until ready to serve

Serve with brown rice and tossed green salad.
Not to get off the subject but since I got my rice cooker last year I love making rice. It always coms out perfect and I don’t have to watch it.  This is especially helpful living in high altitude.

This is an easy cooking recipe that guests will love and to boot you are giving your guests a healthy entree.  

This recipe freezes very well though I think it will disappear before heading for the freezer.  I don’t like the word left overs so getting around that I always tell people I cook for two nights. And very often whatever I make tastes better the second night.  As with all of my recipes you can adjust the seasonings and use water or chicken broth instead of wine.  For those of you are not a lover of mushrooms they can be eliminated.  I use a lot of seasonings when I cook but many people like a blander flavor but either way you can still enjoy healthy eating.






More recipes in my Feel Better Every Day  book.  http://a.co/8Y7LHwqy

No comments:

Post a Comment