Thursday, September 28, 2017

Healthy Fruit Dessert in Layers



You can put together a really healthy fruit dessert without loading up on calories and sugar.  I made this dessert one night for company.  My husband insisted I make a dessert not necessarily healthy when we have guests for dinner.  However, he knows me well enough that I am going to turn anything I make into the healthy eating category.  Fortunately for me I always have some organic plain Greek yogurt in the fridge along with a selection of fresh fruit.   I got really creative with this and just started making the dessert with no plan.  Actually most of my cooking is without a plan or recipe.

This delicious healthy dessert is easy as can be.

Here are the ingredients but you can change the fruit and omit the nuts if you wish. I use a round glass bowl 10” in diameter

Ingredients
2 cups of plain yogurt
1/4 cup of cocoa powder 
1/4 cup of xylitol (a healthy sweetener that supports healthy gums and helps regulate blood sugar)
1 tablespoon of honey
1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
2 bananas 
1 cup of strawberries
1 peach
1 cup of chopped nuts (any will do)

Directions:
Mix the yogurt, cocoa powder and xylitol until smooth.  Taste it to see if you want to add more chocolate or xylitol.
Put a layer on the bottom of the glass bowl.
Blend the fruit in your blender  with one tablespoon of honey
Add half the fruit to the top of the yogurt
Add half the nuts on top of the fruit
Add another layer of yogurt
Add the rest of the fruit and nuts on top

Chill the mixture of at least two hours and serve to your guests or family.

You can get very creative with fruit and yogurt to create a healthy dessert.  I always have these ingredients in my house for emergency last minute desserts.  This recipe also makes a lovely light lunch.  For those of you on diets this is filling and very satisfying and low in calories.  The chocolate yogurt is very good. Sometimes I blend the cocoa powder and yogurt with the xylitol when my sweet tooth is in full gear.  

One of the biggest secrets to healthy eating is to keep unhealthy food out of your house.  Should you get a major craving for ice cream late in the evening,  the activity of getting in your car and heading out to the store make take your desire for ice cream.  At least it will put it off for another day.   For you lovers of dessert try different mixtures with fruit and yogurt. You will feel good that you are eating a healthy dessert and also there won’t be any of that old fashioned guilt attached.


Check out my new book on Amazon for more healthy recipes and ways to enjoy good health.   Feel Better Every Day
http://a.co/8Y7LHwq

No comments:

Post a Comment