Saturday, March 17, 2018

Lets Talk Tooth Paste

It goes without saying we are bombarded with choices today from cereal to automobiles.  Gone are the days with 3 or 4 choices to make whether watching TV or making a purchase.

The toothpaste aisle is similar to the cereal aisle with a huge amount of brands, flavors and benefits.  You can whitened and brighten your teeth, you can get rid of plaque and even cure periodontal disease.  Flavors range from different mints to fruit flavors.  All toothpastes promise healthy teeth.

I decided to head out to the store and check the different brands and pay attention to the multitude of ingredients.  Most of these ingredients are very difficult to pronounce let alone understand where they come from.  There are also some private brand  toothpastes which also incorporate many different ingredients.  I do not know of anyone who has gotten sick from toothpaste but it has left me wondering how these mystery ingredients work in our bodies.

Most of us feel that toothpaste is no big deal.  We swish in our mouths and hope are teeth get cleaned well.  However, any product that gets on our skin or inside our mouths travel to our bloodstreams Not to mention how much toothpaste we swallow.    Today with most products people feel if they taste good they must be good for your health. 

A few years ago I decided to create my own toothpaste and not have to worry about all these different ingredients.  Different companies that produce over the counter products which include mouthwashes, pain medication etc.  are out to get your business one way or another.  Not to mention to tremendous competition between the old companies and the new emerging ones.   Most large companies that produce  packaged foods are now involved in many other enterprises.  The bandwagon for new businesses in the consumer arena is huge.

I am here to share my simple recipe for toothpaste which has worked well for me.

1/4 cup of baking soda
Enough coconut oil to get a thick mixture (but one you can put on your toothbrush)
1/4 teaspoon of xylitol for a little sweetener (optional)
about 6 or 7 drops of peppermint or lemon essential oil

Blend well together and store in a small container.

I use the lemon at night and peppermint during the day.

The coconut oil helps remove bacterial from your mouth and the baking soda is a great cleanser.

I have been making many of my own skin and beauty lotions and potions for several years now, and I love that I know what goes into them.

Find out more about this from my book:  Amazon: Feel Better Every Day


1 comment:

  1. Ilove that you make your own products. Really, that kind of commitment...bravo to you! We do similar things for gardening supplements, but it never dawned on me to make toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete