Monday, May 21, 2018

Lets Get Creative with Left Over Chicken




Left overs are often a fact of life.  Some of us love the leftovers and others don’t.  I often have left overs and I almost never throw food out. I am always glad when I have chicken left over as there are so many creative dishes to make.  I am guilty of occasionally buying cooked rotisserie chickens from Costco and love creating dishes with the left overs. I know the chickens are fresh and also very  economical.  

The first night serving the chicken is easy. I just heat it up and we dig in.  I give my husband the leg and thigh and I have a few slices of the breast.  There is always a lot left over,, as these chickens are very large.  I make a salad and and cook a  vegetable and dinner is ready. 

We are lovers of curry so chicken curry is a great way to use the left over chicken. I will share this simple recipe. Feel free to substitute any veggies you have in the fridge.  My curry is always different depending on what is waiting in the vegetable bin.  

Chicken Curry Recipe—-Economical and easy as always

Ingredients:
Cut up left over chicken (whatever you have left)
1 cup of thinly sliced celery
1 cup of sliced mushrooms (a staple at our house.
1 cup of thinly sliced carrots
1 cup of chopped sweet red pepper
Sesame seed oil
1 cup of coconut milk (I always have a can of this around for curry night)
Spices:  2 tablespoons of curry powder, turmeric, coriander, cumin
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
Salt and pepper to tCurry Green Curry Chicken Eggplant Food Veaste

Directions:
  1. Heat the oil in a large pan (about 1/4 cup)
  2. Add all of the spices and stir
  3. Add the veggies and cook for about 5 or 6 minutes
  4. Add the coconut milk and stir the veggies
  5. Add the chicken and simmer for about 10 minutes.
  6. Serve the curry with brown rice

Left Over Quick Chicken Soup

I make a lot of soup, and always have some in the fridge and freezer for quick lunches. I made this chicken soup one night when I got home late in the afternoon and didn’t know what to make for dinner.  It was cold outside so this hit the spot.  I used up lots of veggies in the fridge that I was going to have to throw away.

Ingredients:
Left over chicken cut up in small pieces
2 quarts of water or one half chicken broth
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Left over spinach, zucchini, tomatoes, green onions, broccoli (that is what I had left over)
1 can of drained white beans
Spices: two tablespoons each:  oregano, basil, thyme, tarragon, fennel, cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Chop the veggies you have ( don’t worry about how much there is).  You can even add radishes, cabbage, peppers—all will work
  2. Boil the water and chicken broth
  3. Add the oil (this helps conduct the flavors)
  4. Throw in the veggies and spices and the white beans
  5. Cook the soup until the veggies are tender
  6. Add the chicken and cook for about 15 minutes
  7. Serve the chicken soup with some crusty french bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment