Saturday, May 5, 2018

Fun Hobbies in Retirement




For many of us during the working years did not have time to enjoy special hobbies that we often dreamed about.  Sometimes when we embark on these hobbies they turn into money making ventures.  And sometimes new talents we didn’t know we may have emerged.

I had many businesses when I war working full time.  My husband always reminds me that he could have wallpapered a wall with all of my ventures.  I had a gift basket business, marketing business, acted as a salesperson for small businesses, wrote a few books and taught telephone sales and etiquette.  Also I have had a few online businesses selling my art and hand painted tote bags and t-shirts.  During this time I had a few jobs but found I worked better for myself.

I have tried many things in past years. I took guitar lessons, cello lessons and karate to name a few. I also indulged in a few craft projects.  I have painted for most of my adult life off and on and have managed to sell a few paintings.  Today this is my hobby of choice.

My latest venture is playing the keyboard.  True I took some piano lessons throughout the years but this is entirely different.   And anyone can play the keyboard.  The keyboards are set so you can learn to play in a short time.  There is a method called E Z Play where the chords are shortened and you just learn the melody with your right hand.  I love sitting down at the keyboard and whipping out favorite songs.  Music is soothing and has many wonderful health benefits.  I feel calm and happy playing and listening to some of my favorite songs from the past.

My husband is a musician and plays the keyboard almost everyday.  He has fun making his own arrangements and creating new sounds.  Unfortunately pianos and organs have gone by the wayside in many cases.  We tried to sell a piano and organ a few years ago and we found we could not even give them away.  They have become a glut on the market.

I wanted to share this with you because of the great pleasure I derive from playing.  

Having a variety of fun things you enjoy doing makes for a day of happiness.  This is the time of our life we hopefully have choices how we spend our days.
Keyboard Piano Music Instrument Piano Keyb

No comments:

Post a Comment