Monday, May 14, 2018

What I have Learned About Aging



Each decade brings new challenges, rewards and changes.   I remember being in my 20s and thinking that I had eternal youth; and would never feel or look older.  Turning 30 was a shock because I knew then that the 20s attitude was history.   Turning 40 was a true milestone and I remember feeling all was well in my world.  Turning 50 was the beginning of a decade of working hard in a new business.  Maybe I should stop here—seriously each decade brings new happenings but doesn’t mean we cannot still be productive and enjoy life.   I truly believe that people change attitudes and actions as they reach the golden years.  I am going to list a few of my thoughts.

  1. I have a lot of energy but it doesn’t last as long
  2. In some ways I am more tolerant and other ways not
  3. I am not the clothes horse I used to be 
  4. I am happiest in warm ups or jeans
  5. Shoes are now for comfort and style is secondary
  6. I eat about 25 percent less to keep my weight even
  7. Making friends works best when you meet them at a chosen activity
  8. I would prefer going out during the day and staying home at night
  9. There are no magic bullets in life in the medicine, food, life experiences that work all the time
  10. It takes longer to adjust to change and happenings in life
  11. We are not getting any younger, any prettier or more than likely any richer so today is it!
  12. We often have the choice how we spend our days and have to work at feeling productive
  13. Accepting has become a keyword in my vocabulary
  14. Sleep is a little tougher to come by and staying there another challenge.
  15. The realization that this century has brought so many changes to our lives and adjusting to them can often be a challenge
  16. Life has gotten simpler and more complicated at the same time
  17. There is more competition in the arts if you are involved in writing a book or painting
  18. Selling your service or product has become far more challenging.  I do remember making phone calls and writing letters with great success.
  19. I don’t trust the ingredients that are in food and try to eat food that does not have ingredients
  20. There are way too many choices at the grocery store, car dealer and most products we purchase.
  21. Even though I am in good health and active our bodies do change
  22. If I miss more than a few days of bike riding I have to build up strength
  23. Worrying and stress are often part of the landscape so it is really about how we deal with it.
  24. We often have less responsibilities with family but that does not stop us from worrying.
  25. The word “choice” is definitely part of our daily living.
  26. Healing from any health issue takes a long time in comparison to when we were younger.
  27. Life is all about today
  28. Sometimes being kind is merely a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment