Monday, February 12, 2018

Stay Happy as You Age


As we age we find the mirror starts playing tricks on us.  While looking in the mirror we may suddenly have lost the bloom of youth.  Actually it was not so suddenly, but it does seem that way at times.  The reality is that when growing older some things feel easier in life and some things become more challenging.  Our attitudes change in many facets of our lives. We also find stress and anxiety are often part of our daily landscape.

There are other things that happen as we age just alone in our physical being.  We find our energy doesn’t  last quite as long as it did, and we may not be as agile. Our weight has a way of shifting around changing our proportions. One thing for sure that is easy and that is gaining weight.  

So what is the good news?  The best news of all is that we are here living and can look forward to each day if we choose to be happy.

I once read that happiness is a choice.  Okay so you are looking at this page right now and snickering at me.  You have a ton of problems so how can you choose to be happy.  Trust me this is no easy feat but you can find happy moments each day.  We all have something to be grateful for.  My mother in law had a great saying which I have carried around with me.  “Everything in life has its compensations.”  Think about that one.

One thing I do most days is write a gratitude list.  I write down all that I am grateful for and it sticks with me all day.  We all have issues in life and no one is free from them.  Haven’t you seen miserable people who have everything and happy people who have very little?  

We all wake up with those days that we feel the weight of the world on our shoulders for many reasons.  It could be family, money or health—the three biggest detours to happiness.

And lets not get into stress and anxiety as we all have our doses of that each day.

Here are just a few simple ideas to find ways of being happy every day.

  1. Plan a treat for yourself 
  2. Take a walk and enjoy nature
  3. Have a forbidden food to sneak in for the day
  4. Watch a favorite TV show or movie
  5. Call a friend who is a good listener
  6. Unclutter a closet or room.  (This really helps me)
  7. Take some time to meditate that will clear your mind
  8. Take a bath in scented water
  9. Just smile
  10. Buy yourself something new and  it doesn’t have to cost much


This growing old and dealing with aging problems is a challenge and we have to work at fighting back with different solutions. I am getting up today and I have decided to be happy.


More ideas for staying happy in my book  Feel Better Every Day on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment