Friday, October 20, 2017

Lets Talk About Vitamins


Though people have been taking vitamins for years there seems to be  huge rise in popularity the past 15 or 20 years.  New companies are emerging everyday claiming to have the best and purist vitamins.  Many doctors and other health professionals who have daily newsletters filled with medical information generally have their own brand of vitamins and supplements. How many times do you see advertisements with claims of feeling better than you ever have, ridding  yourself of conditions and disease.  I cannot say they whether these claims are true or not, However it does seem to me from a practical stand point that if any of these vitamins were so fabulous we would all be taking them.

Multiple Vitamins

I have read a great deal about taking multiple  vitamins and I know basically  they will not harm you. unless you have an allergy to one particular supplement.  However Ido wonder how a small capsule or pill can hold enough of a particular vitamin or mineral to do one any good or benefit.    I think many people feel these vitamins and other supplements  take the place of eating a healthy diet. However, there is nothing as beneficial as eating fresh foods, in my opinion.

There is a lot of chatter out there about vitamins and their value.  So i am leaving this up to you and doing your own research.

Capsules VS Tablets

As we age we tend to lose hydrochloric acid in our stomach which makes it more difficult to digest certain foods.  Vitamins tablets  sometimes do not break down and you get less value from your vitamin pill. Capsules and gels dissolve ore readily,  so it is wise to take these when you can.

Specific Vitamins

In our house we take specific vitamins, minerals and supplements for different conditions and prevention.

I personally take a B complex, Vitamin D3, Alpha Lipoic acid to regulate blood sugar,
Lutein and Zeaxanthin for vision support.  My favorite all around supplement is Astaxanthin.  I could write an entire article about this alone and I just might. 

I also put a teaspoon of vitamin C powder in my morning glass of water.  There are many health benefits to vitamin C.  Fortunately there are many foods rich in this vitamin.  Having an extra dose is very supportive of your immune system and hopefully staving off colds and flu. And I also add beet root powder to keep my blood pressure regulated. and it provides a dose of nitric oxide..

Reading up on vitamins is something everyone should do.  I personally could write an entire book on these supplements. Actually I did write an entire chapter in my book., Feel Better Every Day. 


*Please remember to check with your health provider before adding any vitamins, minerals or supplements to your diet.


Feel Better Every Day    my book with lots of info on staying healthy as we age

No comments:

Post a Comment