Sunday, November 5, 2017

Lets Talk About Curry Powder and Powerful Turmeric



There is a lot of noise on the internet these days about Turmeric.  As most of you know it is one of the primary ingredient of curry.  Many of us think curry stands alone as a spice. It has a variety of at least 10 spices which you can mix and match.  I have experimented with all of these spices.

Curry Spices

Here is the amazing list of all the ingredients you can use. I would advise not using all of them.  I vary my curry powders  according to mood and mostly to what I have on hand.  I am truly a spice nut and love jazzing up recipes with anything I can dream up.  All of these spices and herbs have therapeutic value in their own right.  I will share each one with you in following blogs. Today I am hyped on curry and how many variations you can create.

1.Turmeric
2. Fennel ground
3  ginger
4. cinnamon
5.  cardamon
6, cumin
7. fenugreek (this adds a sweet flavor)
8. red pepper flakes
9. ground coriander
10. Dry mustard
11. Black pepper

You can mix and match these ingredients to your taste  as well as your taste  heat thermometer There are many different curry sauces you cal also make. Some like red curry, yellow curry and green curry. Each one of these sauces is different in its ow right.   I love anything that is hot and spicy so I have certain ingredients I always use.  It is truly amazing the different flavors you can conceive by just mixing and matching.

Slightly Warm curry powder

2 tablespoons of Turmeric
1 teaspoon of red pepper
1/2 test of ground ginger
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander

This is a fun thing to experiment with.  if you like a mild curry cut out the red pepper and add a teaspoon of cinnamon.









All About Turmeric

The number one ingredient in curry  is Turmeric and this is what gives the curry its yellow color.  Be cautious when using Turmeric as the color can be permanent. I know this from experience.  It is touted to be one of the most healthy spice on earth.  Lots of chatter on the internet if you wish to research.  I personally think it has tons of health benefits but then again I do not believe in any one magic bullet.  It is reported to support brain health, digestive health and ease aches and pains. The curcumin in Turmeric is known for its  anti inflammatory benefits and it is reported to be a strong anti oxidant.  With all of these health benefits something has got to work.  To get full health benefits from Turmeric remember to add black pepper to your cooking.  If you are purchasing a Turmeric supplement make sure it has a high percentage of curcumin.  And when purchasing the spice it is best to buy organic.  To get health benefits from anything in my opinion it is best to use several times a week.  I purchase fresh Turmeric root and put it in soups, salads and even eggs.


Amazon Books Feel Better Every day

No comments:

Post a Comment